Friday, June 7, 2013

Sevier Color- Opposites Attract!!

Some women have an eye for color.  Without knowing trends or taking style advice, they can look at a store and instantly put coordinating hues together.  For those of us that can't, don't worry there is a science to it!  Or rather, an art. 

Have you ever seen the interesting colors Suzanne (owner) puts with her skirts and wonder why they look so great together?  Suzanne is one of those women that can put together colors without assistance or trends, she just knows.  Today I am going to break down the method to her madness to get you the look!

Starting with the basics, here is what you need to know: 
Primary colors: Primary colors are Red, Yellow and Blue.  They form a triangle on the color wheel.
Secondary Colors: Purple, Orange and Green.  They too form a triangle on the color wheel.
Point:  Secondary Colors and Primary colors are directly across from each other on the color wheel.  This relationship is called Complimentary Colors.  Meaning, they look good together!
The Complimentary Colors are:
RED & GREEN
YELLOW & PURPLE
BLUE & ORANGE

These colors are made for each other, so pair 'em up!

What are the small squares you ask?  They are known as Intermediate Colors.  They are formed when a Primary Color mixes with its adjacent Secondary Color.  Example: Blue mixed with Violet=Blue-Violet.

Don't worry ladies, I am finally reaching my point of how this applies to you, your skirts and your wardrobe!!
When you want to stray away from your staple white or black top and want to add some color, reference the Sevier Skirt Color Wheel below!  

If you're wearing the Nepal Indigo mix it up with its complimentary color, an orange top!  Wearing the Olympia Yellow are you?  Throw on a purple top with it-they are made for each other!


Sevier Skirt Color Wheel

Now the trick is knowing when to use the intermediate colors.  Here's how I use them:  Red and Green scream Christmas to me.  It is a combination I try to avoid.  Here is what I do instead.  I take the Blossom Eyelet Coral skirt and look to see its opposite(complimentary) color which is green.  Well I don't want straight up Green, so I am going to swing to its intermediate colors.  I like the Blue-Green, otherwise know as teal color with the Blossom Eyelet so I'm going to go with that.

Sometimes I don't like bright yellow with bright purple.  So I'll swing to the intermediate colors of Purple and choose the Blue-Violet otherwise known as Royal Blue.  Fuchsia (Red-Violet) will look good with the Olympia Yellow as well.

My favorite color combo right now?  Blue and Coral.  Try it, you're going to love it!

Summer is the perfect time to experiment with these color tips.  No layering makes it so easy to throw on your favorite skirt with a Michael Stars top.  Add a tan and you're good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment